The currently-selected cell in Excel is called the active cell. You can also select a group of adjacent cells, or a cell range. Many operations can be done against a cell range: move it, copy, it, delete it or format it. A cell range can be defined in different ways: select a specific range of cells, select multiple columns or rows, or select the entire worksheet.
To Select a Range of Cells:
- Move to the first cell in the range.
- The mouse pointer becomes a large cross.
- Click-and-hold the left mouse button and drag left or right, up or down to the last cell you want to select.
- Release the mouse button.
- The cells you selected are shaded.